Marjoram Oil for Snoring?
The Greeks and Romans considered Marjoram as the herb of happiness because it seemed to bring warmth to the emotions and the body. Marjoram essential oil can work as a tonic, sedative, expectorant, and is antibacterial. This can calm the respiratory system that helps relieve bronchitis, asthma, and respiratory congestion.
The woody and herbal scent is also shown to promote relaxation and sleep. Marjoram oil can blend well with lemon and lavender and can offer an array of benefits once inhaled using a personal essential diffuser.
Even though Marjoram is not one of the most famous essential oils, it is still very much in demand among people who have problems with snoring. The oil is extracted from the leaves of the marjoram plant and for many years, this has been known to heal the body and relax the mind.
The oil can be used for treating different ailments such as headaches, muscle pain, respiratory diseases such as bronchitis and asthma as well as snoring. When you add a few drops of this oil to your diffuser every night, the air passageways in your throat will be opened which then ceases your snoring.
If you have a sinus infection that causes your snoring, marjoram essential oil also has antibacterial properties which can help address the underlying issue while giving you a chance to get a good rest every night.
How Does It Work?
How can marjoram oil help you stop snoring?
Every time you lie down to go to sleep, your soft palate, uvula, and tongue relax into the back of the throat and that can cause an obstruction. Snoring is the result of the vibration that results from the obstruction while you breathe in and out.
Marjoram essential oil for snoring works through opening up airway passages. It also adds muscle tone to your throat area and takes away the obstruction. The majority of common snorers will stop their snoring in a matter of 2 to 3 nights. But for some, this may take up to 6 weeks as the effects are on a case by case basis.
Will marjoram oil work if you have sleep apnea? As far as sleep apnea is concerned, there is a more severe obstruction present as compared to the issues a common snorer experiences. The recommendation is to take 8 to 10 sniffs of the oil also in order to ease the effects.
If you are using a CPAP machine, marjoram oil can be used with it also. Take more than 5 sniffs and then put the jar right next to the machine’s intake valve. When the marjoram has a good effect you will notice that there is excessive air that comes into your system and the CPAP’s level must be lowered.
There are several instances when snoring stopped during the first night for some people. If there is no improvement even after a few weeks, you can dab a small amount of the oil on your mustache or on your upper lip to get a more concentrated dose during the night. Test this first on the back of your hand to know if you have any sensitivity to the oil.
Due to a blockage’s severity in cases of sleep apnea, it takes longer to see the results from using some essentials oils like marjoram oil for snoring and it isn’t as common for the person to stop snoring.
Where Can It Be Obtained?
Walk through any department store or grocery store and you will find some products that have essential oils such as soap, perfume, and cosmetics. Essential oils can be used for adding flavor to particular beverages and foods. Several household cleaners contain essential oils. Considering how great essential oils smell, it is not surprising that they are used in air fresheners and incense among other things.
Precautions and Safety
Marjoram oil for snoring is safe for internal, topical, and aromatic use. But, it should be used with caution. Because essential oils aren’t made equal, always make sure that you’re buying certified organic pure essential oils. If certain oil says you must not use it internally, never ingest it. Before you use marjoram oil for topical use, see to it that you dilute it in carrier oil and do a patch test to avoid allergies or any harmful effects.
If you’re breastfeeding or pregnant, it is important to consult your doctor first before you use any essential oils. Never use essential oils in place of prescription medication or to treat chronic conditions before consulting with a medical professional. If stored properly, marjoram oil can last for 4-5 years.
Other Essential Oils Help Stop Snoring
Essential oils are best for snoring based on some studies. A lot of people want to use something that’s all-natural, easy to use, and non-habit forming. When asking what type of essential oil is good for snoring, the answers are very clear:
- Lavender Essential Oil – It’s the best natural sleep remedy, which can help you experience restful slumber. It soothes, calms, and offers deeper sleep.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – It’s an essential oil that’s synonymous with relieving airways that are troubled. Eucalyptus essential oils are also great for snoring. Eucalyptus eases the symptoms of sinus and bronchial infections like the common cold.
- Thyme Essential Oil – If snoring is your concern, it could wake you up a few times during night time. The answer could be the need for deeper sleep and this essential oil will help you get this. It soothes a person’s nervous system and can ease respiratory problems that result in uninterrupted deep sleep.
- Clove – It is frequently used in baking and cooking. It has been widely used to relieve pain due to toothache. It’s also known for its immune-boosting, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties. All of these can help you reduce and prevent snoring.
- Lemon Essential Oil – It is an all-natural treatment for infections in your throat. It has been known for its antispasmodic properties, which will help you to stop snoring. This essential oil can support the respiratory system as well as ease asthma symptoms.
- Pine Essential Oil – Those who have respiratory conditions may experience relief with pine essential oil. It’s a natural anti-inflammatory, which can help you reduce spasms and keep airways open during your sleep.
If you found this post helpful or you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment. Also if you have discovered a solution to a snoring issue please share it in the comment section below!